Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Boy, does she get around


Cycling is definitely on the rise. I see more cyclists everywhere I go, and it's no wonder when there are more programs and incentives to get folks out from behind the [steering] wheel and onto the (spoke) wheel. The bike enthusiasts at my own work try to rally others to commute and complete their errands, in the name of team comradery, health, and, well, being kinder to Mother Earth. All of these things appeal to me, and while I signed up for a program, I hadn't really spent much time on my bike, especially not riding to work. I worry about getting to work, and that shower I took in the morning was for nothing. I worry about getting hit by a car, or just not having the stamina to bike fast enough to get me to work on time. Don't get me wrong, I have done it once or twice, and it turned out OK; I know I just need to do it. And more often than not.. it's simply laziness. Motivation is definitely a good thing to have, especially when you pay for it. Literally. You may recall from earlier posts that I entered myself into a mini-triathlon race, and it is right around the corner. Part of the race is a 7 mile bike, and it would be a horrible, HORRIBLE idea to wait until race day to hop on the bike.. I don't know if you've ever biked for a while.. stopped.. then go at it again.. it.. is.. painful. Ladies, you learn what makes the groin area throb (and not in a good way).
So, biking more often (especially over he next week) is a must for me. It helps that I got a new (to me) road bike. It's cute. It's older. It's the perfect starter road bike for me. I also have a biking buddy, and I can say without a doubt that it makes cycling more enjoyable. Granted, the only riding I've done on my own so far has been to work or around the neighborhood to run errands, and the road I must travel.. well.. sucks. Even driving in a car.. it's not great. The plus side to it, is that there are more cyclists on the road, and especially in my neighborhood, so I think the drivers around the area I live are getting more used to it. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment