Sunday, May 22, 2011

Why we do the tings we do: a morning, coffee sipping thought journey

I don't really see myself as a goal oriented person. Or maybe I'm such a goal oriented person I can't see it. I don't often find myself doing something for the sake of doing it, unless I have an external motivator/pressure. For instance, the triathlon I signed up for. Sure, I could just take a day to swim the 200+ yards, then jump on my bike and ride the 7 miles, and finish it off with a 2 mile run. But I won't. Unless I enter myself in a race. Sure, there's still the possibility I could wake up on race day and decide to stay in bed, but then I'd be kicking myself for wasting money on the entry fee.
But perhaps this isn't an uncommon theme in other people's lives. Why does anyone do any kid of competitive sport? I'm sure a part of it is to see how far you can push yourself.. but the bonus of it seems to be having others share in your accomplishments.
As I'm writing this, I realize that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I wonder at why I think it might be. Being your own person, is putting yourself out there. Being human is sharing your life with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment