Friday, May 20, 2011

Next Challenge

Two days ago I signed up for my first triathlon. Granted, it's a mini-triathlon, not even as long as a sprint, but I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I started participating in the Komen Columbus Race for the Cure(R) about 5 years ago, running in the 5k. I was never really a runner, but I've always been kind of athletic, participating in pick-up games or taking a class at a rec center. The first race I participated in, I finished in aprox 42 minutes. Personally, I think it was a little sooner than that, but I can only run as fast as the wave of people in front of me. Whether or not it was my own two legs, or the congestion, the next year, I improved my time! I shaved a whole 5 minutes off my time, crossing the finish-line at the 37 minute mark. I accidentally overslept the third year, didn't register the fourth year, which leads me to this year. I signed up again this year.. but I didn't run it. I was so looking forward to running it again this year, as I've already have been jogging outside in good weather so far, but I had good reason to walk it instead. A mere 3 days prior to the race, I had surgery on my right breast to remove a lump. The doctor was pretty sure it benign, and, thankfully it was. So, with a few friends from work, we all walked the race course, which we still finished in about an hour.
I still wanted to participate in a race of some sorts. Not necessarily to win, but more to attempt to beat my personal best time. I found out about the mini-triathlons last year, and had plenty of opportunities to sign up for one, but I never did. The HFP Racing holds annual series all around Ohio, one being a triathlon for women, and there were plenty to go to, but I didn't want to pay for registration, plus hotel fees to race in another city. I wanted my first to be close to home. So this year, I looked at the one being hosted at Alum Creek, during the Giant Eagle MultiSport Festival. It was perfect. I was still hesitant about signing up, but another friend said she would sign up with me if I did. So I did. And we are :)

No comments:

Post a Comment